Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's springtime in Killarney...

with all of the folks at home.

So on a bit of a whim, I decided to go to Killarney with a few friends. I had planned on going for a while, but wasn't sure when I could fit it in. Well, how about Thursday to Saturday? Great. So we took a way-too-early bus to the darling little town, checked into our amazing hostel, the Sugan, which Katie recommended from her dino-roaming days years ago, and walked around the town. The hostel is super cozy and charming, complete with fireplace filled with peat, mugs hanging from the ceiling, and bunches of bunches of homey photographs and paintings hanging on the walls.

So we walked around the town and made our way to the Killarney National Park, where we saw real live deer! and a big castle. We toured Ross Castle and fell in love with the tour guide's lilting Irish voice. Her voice was so silky it was almost creepy, actually. But we headed back, I ate some Goodfellas pizza, and wandered around to see the night life. Or rather, the non-existent night life. The pubs were filled with a more...grandfatherly...crowd, and we decided to find a pack of cards and play rummy all night. It was FANTASTIC and we laughed, cried, drank tea and died. Soo many heart to hearts in that tiny little area. And a lot of laughter. And trolls.

The next day my homegirl companion and I took a boat trip through the lakes with a sweet little old man while the men folk golfed. Our ship, as I like to call it, was more of a row boat that had enough room to hold our bicycles and a few passengers. I even had the honor of hopping out of the sailing vessel onto the grass bordering the lake to pulllll the ship through some rapids at one point. Very exciting! But we made it through after meeting Charlie the tame and ever-present pheasant (heh, heh) and stopped for cupcakes at some Lord's cottage.

Interesting side story: On our walk to the bottom of the mountain, we encountered a large field full of sheep, and naturally we approached it. What happened next is hard to explain. We saw a little lamb galloping towards us, clearly freaking out because it was on the wrong side of the fence. BUT all of the sheep started walking slowly towards us and BLEATING soooo loudly and ridiculously I couldn't help but laugh and be terrified all at once. I could only imagine alien sheep calling their mother ship to come and beam us up, it was so strange. But very entertaining. Check my facebook for a video.

Anyway, then we pushed our bikes 3 miles up a mountain and eureka! We made it to the top! The Gap of Dunloe! It was a lovely view and very scary/fun to bike down the ridiculously steep mountainside. I deffo took mah time and had the breaks on constantly-I didn't want to flip over the handle bar because of some dumb rogue rock! But yes we had a grand time and biked another 26 km back to town after stopping to pet lovely horsies. It was borderline exhausting and my body is currently paying the price for it.

That night I got shepherd's pie (meh) and designer fancy pants ice cream. Apparently they ONLY use the most rare and indigenous cows to Ireland, and there are only 2 herds of them. Weirdoooos. But it was good--REAL legit rum raisin with a crazy ton of rum...yum! Then we headed baaackk to the hostel to continue our game of rummy and chats. So so fun!

Then I came home today, went for a run, got a donut before AND after--don't judge me--and made a yummo dinner of salmon, cous cous and sauteed spinach. Holllla. OH and Wednesday night I went salsa dancing and got up the nerve to ask a few gentlemen to dance with me. I didn't want to just STAND there all night, and I was all dolled up anyway. So I danced a bit and a cute little old man (or so I thought was cute and old) asked me to dance and I said yes. It was cute for about 2 minutes until he wouldn't stop spinning me and swinging me around like a crazy person. He came up to about, oh, I dunno, my shoulder and would spin me around and pull me IN THISCLOSE and rest his bald little head on my collarbone. Whoaa buddy ok there. Then he made me dance with him again and we were THE ONLY PEOPLE on the dance floor. I at least hoped someone would take pity on me and help a sista out, but NO. Oh well, it makes a good story. I guess.

I can't believe I only have 2 weeks left! It's so bittersweet...I am really looking forward to seeing my family and friends from home and school, but I love it here so much! Also, I need some friends in D.C. Forget about trying to make money with a job, just make me some friends! If you know anyone in the area, hoook a sista up!

No comments:

Post a Comment