Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My food fantasies

Some people fantasize about marrying Ryan Reynolds, some dream of the beach, and yet others desire the hedonistic tendencies of food and drink. I'm not sure if it's my lack of job prospects, nostalgia for my wild college days, or legitimate food cravings, but I have a hankering to get myself up to State College for a foodie/booze tour.

So, here is what I dream about, from breakfast to 4th meal.

For breakfast, it's off to the Waffle Shop for the dirt cheap eggs, bacon, toast and hash brown special. What can I say, I'm a purest, and I'm going to need to set my metabolism straight for this foodventure.

Snacktime is chocolate covered bacon chocolate cheesecake at Herwig's. Oh and a beer at Pickle's. Because in this fantasy of mine, the weather is beautiful, I have a bottomless pit for a stomach, a tolerance for alcohol that would rival any Irish stockyard worker, and stretchy pants.

For lunch, it's Mad Mex on the patio. One original Big Azz margarita, please and thank you very much. I'd bask in the sunshine and nibble on a shrimp, portobello, and spinach quesadilla with my marg and enjoy good company. Let's be honest...no bar is allll that fun by yourself.

Then I'd walk off the effects of the margarita/cheesy shrimp goodness and head to the Creamery, where I would request a child-size peanut butter ripple cone--those cones are just way too big to eat the whole thing in its entirety--and walk through campus talking to and feeding the squirrels.

Tea-time would be at The Corner Room for grilled stickies a la mode, covered in wet walnuts--that's a special thang I do. (I would say Allen St. Grill for the coconut cream pie, but I've already devoted an entire post to that.)

After that, the obvious dinner choice is Herwig's for the Tagesmenu. The most delicious homemade mushroom soup (mushroom theme?), homemade buttermilk ranch dressed salad and pork/potato hash, AND pastry dessert made with fruit from the owner's own fruit trees?! Oh, and did I mention it's BYOB, open air, and they chuck things and yell at you in German if you don't finish your food? Heaven. And three words for the road: chocolate. covered. bacon.

After that, it's next door for HAPPY HORAAAAA at Cafe. Grabbing an outside table in the front to people watch, long island tea in each hand, is the way to do it. And let's not forget those skillet fries. Seriously, crack on a skillet. I honestly can't say anything else about them, except that I had them once sans the 5 long island teas, and it just wasn't the same.

As for fourth meal, I only have two words: Canyon. Pizza. (ranch optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment